The name was changed from "The Regular Baptist Church" to "The First Baptist Church" during Reverend W. Sutterlin's ministry. In 1976 a new educational building was erected adjacent to the main building during Reverend B. King's ministry. The addition was dedicated on August 26, 1979. In 1983 it was voted that a more accessible building was needed. Volunteers began construction in 1990 and work was completed in 1992 under the ministry of Reverend S. Johnson.
On March 21, 1909 the Baptist Church was organized by the Reverend and Mrs. E.G.O. Groat with nine charter members. They first met in the Presbyterian Church. Later, a "Gospel Tent" was given by the Baptist State Convention for Special Meetings. The church continued to grow and a permanent home was needed. A lot at 11th and Adams was purchased and the church was moved into a temporary building until a new building was erected. The building was dedicated on February 5, 1910. As the church grew members felt another location was needed if the growth was to continue. In 1925 the lot where the present church stands was purchased. Services were held in "Grace", the chapel car of the Southern Pacific, while the new church was built. The new church was dedicated on December 19, 1926 under Reverend H.W. Davis. Though built during the Great Depression the church debt was paid during his ministry.